So Domestic It Hurts

Tuesday, March 11, 2014


My friend who is a family and consumer science teacher education major said she wants a shirt that says "so domestic it hurts." I thought it was funny; when you don't stay at home full time and you cook something great or sew something it makes you feel more domestic than the norm.
Hatch Happenings

So here's what I did last semester that made me feel "so domestic"- I took an intro sewing class. Because it was at BYU it was still pretty rigorous. We did four projects and over 20 samples during the semester. I made PJ pants, two skirts, and a button up shirt. I learned how to do darts, gathers, pleats, pattern alteration, buttonholes, buttons, two styles of inserting a zipper, and collars. Plus the added bonus of really learning how to use my own sewing machine, since the ones BYU uses are almost identical.

Here's my last skirt. I used the same pattern as my first skirt, but altered it so there was a waistband, two less darts, and I used a hook and eye. I did a lapped zipper on this one too. I used a linen, spandex, and cotton blend material.

 Hatch Happenings Hatch HappeningsHatch Happenings

You Might Also Like

0 comments