Kids' Bathroom Makeover Plan

Friday, November 10, 2017

When we came to look at this house the second time I looked at this beat it up vanity in the kids' bath upstairs and thought how kids' bathrooms are often gross and trashed and the last priority. Here's about what I saw:


This room doesn't get regular use right now but I really, really want to start off with a cute kids bath we can love for years. I've committed to making the personal spaces (upstairs bedrooms & baths) priority over focusing solely on guest areas.


The walls are a nondescript beige, the vanity is scratched up black and the tile on the floor and in the tub is uninspiring. The unframed mirror touching the backsplash screams, "This house was built in the 1990s!" And the original builder's grade fixture doesn't help things. 


So here's my plan:

1. Remove the metal storage thingie and sand down vanity. (I actually already did this)

2. Paint the vanity a fun color and the walls Ben Moore Grey Owl 50% lightened. (In progress)

3. Remove the mirror and light fixture and have David help me frame the mirror and replace the light fixture.

4. Add board and batten to the wall across front the vanity and towel hooks on that (I'm so freaking excited about this, it's going to be so cute!!).


5. Add some inexpensive decor and do a happy dance!

Here's a really lame mood board I put together in a hurry to help me visualize/stay motivated:




I got this cute rug at Target- I LOVE their children's decor these days. Can anyone say Pillowfort for the win? I decided to do all the accents and vanity in these colors because they're fun and bright and gender neutral, which will be perfect for Scotty & baby boy in the future. 

I'm also hoping to find a cute wood step stool at DI I can repaint to match for a few bucks. Because potty training and brushing your teeth at the sink are coming for us! 


The only thing we're not doing at the moment is replacing the tile in the tub and floor. I would absolutely love to at some point but money doesn't grow on trees and I've got bigger fish to fry. Plus I think the improvements we're making will still transform this bathroom! 


You Might Also Like

0 comments