DIY Pom Pom Curtains- Baby Boy Room

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Here's a little peak of some of the nursery progress!!! It's so so close decor wise and now actually stocked with little boy clothes- eek!

The half moon windows in the kids' rooms really threw me at first. The previous homeowners had left the top half uncovered, which I think is hard for little kid's sleep routines. Scotty did get used to it after a few weeks but I want all the help I can get sleep training the next one.

There was the regular faux wood white blinds on the lower half of the window, but the child strangulation blind cord stories make me nervous. Scotty already loved climbing up on the ledge and playing with the cord so blinds were a no-go for me. David prefers the unobstructed light as well.



I stalked all the houses in the neighborhood that had these windows and the most prominent solution were those outdated and sad looking paper fans in the moon and blinds below. The nicest looking solution was custom shutters in the half moon that matched the shutters in the rest of the house. Since I don't want change out all the windows in the house to shutters I was kind of stuck.

I looked online assuming everyone in the neighborhood was missing some brilliant, nicely designed half moon window solution but alas, nobody has really solved the half moon window problem. They're pretty windows really, but it's hard to leave windows uncovered in kid's rooms even though they aren't a privacy concern.

So I finally decided to just do a single panel curtain that would cover the entire window, from half moon down. The nice thing is there's a pocket on the side of the window where you can tuck the curtain when you want it open so the window looks nice and open from the front of the house during the day.

I used this tutorial from Blesser House. I'm obsessed with their first entire playroom makeover. They were trying to create these $63 Pottery Barn Teen pom pom curtains. I would say- if you want black out curtains like the PBTeen ones, this tutorial will be more expensive.



I don't really want to re-write the same tutorial but here's a couple tips that weren't included:



The adhesive takes forever!! Halfway through this project I realized I got suckered into a no-sew project for no reason, haha. I should have just sewed the dang pom poms on. If you don't have a sewing machine here are some tips for using the double-sided adhesive:

- The instructions say to turn off the steam and to turn your iron down. I finally couldn't handle it anymore and turned the temperature up and it was totally fine.

First I ironed the front side and got the adhesive melty and warm. 

Then I would flip it over and hold the iron between each individual pom pom. Please listen to a book, podcast or Netflix while doing this step. Ever heard the phrase, "It's as fun as watching adhesive get sticky?" Oh, you haven't- THERE'S A REASON FOR THAT! Maybe my iron stinks but this takes forever. You're welcome for the warning.

The best way to check and make sure you can move on to the next section is just pulling each pom pom forward and making sure none of the blue fabric strip comes up at all. 

Look at that perfect adhesion. It only took all of nap time.

Other things: I choose to get different, slightly less sheer Lenda curtains from Ikea. You can do this with any white Ikea curtains, I'd recommend going and looking at the options yourself. These ones still had subtle decorative lines too though. 

They were tabbed at the top and I shortened the tabs to totally cover the top of the window because I could only hang the curtain rod so high. You can see I have the tabs pinned and haven't hemmed the curtain yet in this picture.


I'll post more when I post the final nursery reveal, but I seriously love how playful and simple these curtains are. They make me happy every time I walk in. 

Here's the breakdown and I put links to the same/similar things if you're interested. 

Costs:

Ikea Lenda Curtains: $13.35 per panel (the other room has the same window so I'm using the other panel in Scotty's room. Such an awesomely cheap solution!)
HeatnBond iron on adhesive $2.99 (I used a 50% off Joann's coupon)
4 Yards of Pom Poms  $11.92
Curtain Rod - $12-13 ish at Walmart. I forgot to keep the receipt.

Project Total: $41.26

You Might Also Like

0 comments